It is alleged that on Saturday evening 15 July) at about 20:40, 5 people (3 adults and 2 children) died in a shack fire in the Federation area in Walmer Township.
According to police information, the family returned from a traditional ceremony and not long later, a fire was seen emanating from the kitchen area. Neighbours tried to douse the fire but the intensity of the flames engulfed the entire shack.
The owner of the house aged 57 years, his wife (39) and their two girls aged 3 and 10 years old as well as a relative aged 27 is believed to have died in the shack. At this stage names cannot be released until confirmation and identity can be confirmed.
Police have opened an inquest docket.
— Lerato Thipa (@LThipa) July 16, 2017
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- EC SAPS Doubled up on Service on Mandela Day - 21 July 2017
- “Zuma and his cohorts conduct themselves in a way that represents a betrayal of the liberation movement” - 21 July 2017
- Motherwell Residents claim dumping site last cleared in December - 21 July 2017
- Accolades for East Cape Communications Company - 21 July 2017
- Traffic department equipment fixed - 21 July 2017