It is alleged that on Saturday evening 15 July) at about 20:40, 5 people (3 adults and 2 children) died in a shack fire in the Federation area in Walmer Township.
According to police information, the family returned from a traditional ceremony and not long later, a fire was seen emanating from the kitchen area. Neighbours tried to douse the fire but the intensity of the flames engulfed the entire shack.
The owner of the house aged 57 years, his wife (39) and their two girls aged 3 and 10 years old as well as a relative aged 27 is believed to have died in the shack. At this stage names cannot be released until confirmation and identity can be confirmed.
Police have opened an inquest docket.
— Lerato Thipa (@LThipa) July 16, 2017
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Mandela Coin Laid in Keel of Transnet Plough Tug - 19 January 2018
- Despite Punitive Tariffs Cape Town Water Cheaper than Port Elizabeth - 19 January 2018
- CDC a finalist in South African Premier Business Awards - 19 January 2018
- Areas to be affected by emergency shutdown of Greenbushes substation today - 19 January 2018
- No change in repo rate - 19 January 2018