It is alleged that on Saturday evening 15 July) at about 20:40, 5 people (3 adults and 2 children) died in a shack fire in the Federation area in Walmer Township.
According to police information, the family returned from a traditional ceremony and not long later, a fire was seen emanating from the kitchen area. Neighbours tried to douse the fire but the intensity of the flames engulfed the entire shack.
The owner of the house aged 57 years, his wife (39) and their two girls aged 3 and 10 years old as well as a relative aged 27 is believed to have died in the shack. At this stage names cannot be released until confirmation and identity can be confirmed.
Police have opened an inquest docket.
— Lerato Thipa (@LThipa) July 16, 2017
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- PE housing programme set to create jobs - 19 August 2017
- Two Die, Two Survive after commercial fishing boat capsizes - 19 August 2017
- Allow me to tell you about my visit to the Cape Brewing Company – CBC - 19 August 2017
- Springboks vs Argentina – What YOU are saying - 19 August 2017
- SOMA 2017 - 18 August 2017