It is alleged that on Saturday evening 15 July) at about 20:40, 5 people (3 adults and 2 children) died in a shack fire in the Federation area in Walmer Township.
According to police information, the family returned from a traditional ceremony and not long later, a fire was seen emanating from the kitchen area. Neighbours tried to douse the fire but the intensity of the flames engulfed the entire shack.
The owner of the house aged 57 years, his wife (39) and their two girls aged 3 and 10 years old as well as a relative aged 27 is believed to have died in the shack. At this stage names cannot be released until confirmation and identity can be confirmed.
Police have opened an inquest docket.
— Lerato Thipa (@LThipa) July 16, 2017
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Lessons for citizen engagement and social cohesion - 21 March 2018
- Hands off Mayor Trollip! - 21 March 2018
- New Customs Control Area for Coega - 21 March 2018
- No Hanging of Washing - 21 March 2018
- Consumers cautioned ahead of VAT and Fuel Levy increases - 20 March 2018