On Friday, the Eastern Province Kings secured their first win of the SuperSport Rugby Challenge competition by beating SWD Eagles 34-29 at Outeniqua Park, George. A strong first half performance, which saw them leading 24-3, held them along the way.
Credit to SWD, who seemed slow out of the blocks in their first appearance in the competition. At one stage during the first half the home team was reduced to 13 men with two yellow card indiscretions, but came back strongly in the second half. The Kings were forced to play out the last 12 minutes of the match with 14 men after replacement Roche van Zyl was red-carded for a tip-tackle, but just did enough to win this one.
Visiting teams ruled in the second weekend of the SuperSport Rugby Challenge with no less than five of the travelling teams winning their matches, with only DHL Western Province able to win at home.
After two games the EP Kings are third on the South Log with 5 points after Western Province (10 points) and Border (6 points).
- SWD Eagles 29 (3) – Tries: Leighton Eksteen, Johannes Uys, John Welthagen, penalty try. Conversions: Leighton Eksteen (2), penalty conversion; Penalties. Leighton Eksteen.
- EP Kings 34 (24) – Tries: Stefan Willemse, penalty try, Waylon Murray, Keanu Vers, Neil Maritz. Conversions: Simon Bolze (2), penalty conversion; Penalties: Simon Bolze.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Prepare for a belter - 29 January 2020
- Welcome boost to education in Nelson Mandela Bay - 29 January 2020
- Braam van Straaten Highlights Passion - 29 January 2020
- One Step Closer to Official Status for Central SRA - 29 January 2020
- South Africa remains on high alert for Coronavirus - 29 January 2020