The first ever Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism registered drop-off site will be open to the public from Friday, 1 April 2016 next to the Kragga Kamma Road providing much improved waste management solutions to the residents.
It claims the title of the first registered drop-off site since it complies with recently approved legislation.
The main purpose of the provision of such facility can be summarized as follows:
To provide a drop-off facility as a service to surrounding residents which will allow the disposal of certain domestic waste categories, not removed via the normal kerb side collection service instead of disposal at remote licensed landfill sites. (No household / kitchen waste)
To encourage waste separation at source and to provide accessible facilities for the drop-off of such separated / recyclable material. Facilities are provided for the disposal of cans, cardboard, paper, plastic and glass.
No Businesses will be allowed to dispose of any waste material at the drop-off site, except for Garden Services enterprises who will be allowed to dispose of one ton load of waste per day only. Entrepreneurs removing waste from business premises will not be allowed to dispose of such waste at the drop-off site.
ACCEPTED WASTE – A maximum of one bakkie load per day (max 1 ton) of:
- Residential garden refuse
- Household waste not removed during kerbside collection (e.g. furniture)
- Pre-sorted recyclable waste (e.g. paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, metal and cans)
WASTE NOT ACCEPTED
- Any waste generated by businesses or contractors
- Large tree stumps
- Branches longer than 2m
- Construction waste (e.g. rubble, rock, soil etc.)
- Domestic waste (e.g. black bag waste) excluding recyclables
- Liquid waste
- Anything that can cause a bad smell
Hazardous waste includes:
- Oils & paints
- Batteries & fluorescent light bulbs
- Electronic waste; and,
- Medical waste amongst others.
Waste not accepted will be referred to the Arlington Waste Disposal Site for the correct disposal.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE ABOVE MAY RESULT IN A FINE OF R2000 PER INCIDENT.
The site will be open 7 days a week (except on 25 December) and operating times will be from 7h30 to 17h00.