In Port Elizabeth, a hat-trick by the Down Touch Griffons’ Rodney Damons and an accurate kicking display by Duan Pretoruis guided the defending champions to a 35-22 victory against Eastern Province in the bottom of the table of clash. While the win for the Down Touch Griffons’ ended their losing run, the defeat for Eastern Province knocked them out of the semi-final race completely.
Eastern Province 22 (19) Down Touch Griffons 35 (14)
- Eastern Province – Tries: Xandre Vos, Zingisa April, Tristan Blewett. Conversions: Henrique Olivier (2). Penalty Goal: Henrique Olivier.
- Down Touch Griffons – Tries: Rodney Damons (3), Shaun Mcdonald, Arthur-william Williams. Conversions: Duan Pretoruis (5).
The Leopards continued to stamp their authority in the Currie Cup First Division – also sponsored by DirectAxis Financial Services and Nashua – as they bounced back from a bye with a bang to reclaim the top spot on the log and maintain their unbeaten status.
The Leopards scored three first-half tries, while limiting the Border Bulldogs to a penalty goal for a 21-3 halftime lead in Potchefstroom on Friday, and they built on this to finish the match with seven tries for 47-22 victory. Gerhard Nortier crashed over twice for the side, while Schalk Hugo kept the scoreboard ticking with six conversions.
The clash between the Boland Cavaliers and Hino Valke in Lamberts Bay on Saturday was hard-fought, but Boland made better use of their point-scoring chances to secure a 20-7 victory. The hosts outscored their Kempton Park rivals two tries to one, but two penalty goals by Ralton October allowed them to win comfortably.
Other Currie Cup First Division Round 5 results and scorers:
Leopards 47 (21) Border Bulldogs 22 (3)
- Leopards – Tries: Louis van der Westhuizen, Muziwandile Mazibuko, Dean Stokes, Evardi Boshoff, Gerhard Nortier (2), Marius Stander. Conversions: Schalk Hugo (6).
- Border Bulldogs – Tries: Billy Dutton, Lonwabo Ntleki, Nkosi Nofuma. Conversions: Dilolo Mapuko (2). Penalty Goal: Dilolo Mapuko.
Boland Cavaliers 20 (14) Hino Valke 7 (7)
- Boland Cavaliers – Tries: Marlyn Williams, Valentino Wellman. Conversions: Jacquin Jansen (2). Penalty Goals: Ralton October (2).
- Hino Valke – Try: Coert Frederick Cronje. Conversion: Anrich Richter.