The Eastern Cape Department of Transport in collaboration with Bayafunda Education Project and the Nelson Mandela Metro Municipality will hold a Road Safety Awareness fun event on Saturday 10 March 2012 at the Dan Qeqe Stadium in Zwide, Port Elizabeth at 09h00.
The event will focus specifically on pedestrians as the most vulnerable road users and will target learners from grade 10 – 12 and its aim is to prepare learners to become responsible Road Users.
“The challenges in addressing road safety in South Africa are primarily those of human behavior i.e. a lack of knowledge of rules of the road, and willingness to abide by those rules, as well as inadequate enforcement, lack of follow – up of fines and the resulting “culture of impunity” in respect to punishment of offenders”, says MEC Marawu.
The purpose of the partnership largely is to solicit and leverage massive support from various strategic partners who are keen and have an interest to road safety agenda.
Furthermore the pedestrian management is one of the flagship and the priority project to Road Safety Directorate and therefore this initiative conforms to the Departmental Road Safety Agenda.
The main objectives of this campaign are as follows:
- Bridge the gap between the youth, in particular learners regarding road safety agenda.
- To encourage learners to be aware and have a better understanding of road Safety related issues/ problem/ crashes.
- To inculcate good road user behavior and voluntary compliance in particular young people.
- To identify the main contributing factors in terms of road collisions, crashes and fatalities.
- To dedicate the event to the Nelson Mandela Metro Councillors who died on our road network.
MEC for Transport, Roads and Public Works Ms Thandiswa Marawu, will deliver a Keynote Address and newly crowned Ms PE Chantelle’ Ferreira will be the motivational speaker.
Latest posts by NMB Communications (see all)
- Nelson Mandela Metro to terminate KPMG contract - 21 October 2017
- NMB Bucket toilets to be gone by December 2017 - 13 October 2017
- Local heroes to battle for IRONMAN World honours in Kona Hawaii - 13 October 2017
- Phase 2 of the War on Waste Campaign Launched - 13 October 2017
- NMB Bursaries on offer for 2018 - 9 October 2017