Eastern Province on Saturday finished the Under-18 Coca-Cola Craven Week as the unofficial champions for the first time in 37 years following a 25-7 victory against SWD in the final match at HTS Middelburg.
The Port Elizabeth side last won the final match of the tournament in 1977 against Western Province.
EP were in fantastic form in the final match as they capitalised on their chances and put their bodies on the line on defence against SWD to remain one of two unbeaten teams in the competition.
Eastern Province forced their way through the determined SWD defence twice in the first half, while flyhalf Curwin Bosch slotted over two penalties to build up a morale-boosting 20-0 lead at the break.
They added another try two minutes into the second half to extend their lead to 25-0. Despite this SWD fought back with intent and spent several minutes in Eastern Province’s half, but their efforts bore only one try as the Eastern Province’s tenacious defence held.
Final Score: Eastern Province 25 (20) and SWD 7 (0).
- SWD – Try: Domenic Donevan Smit. Conversion: John Thomas Jackson.
- Eastern Province – Tries: Athi Mayinje, Johann van Niekerk, Stephanus Nieuwoudt. Conversions: Curwin Bosch (2). Penalties: Curwin Bosch (2).
A mega images gallery for a mega win:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Keep your Eyes peeled for this Brydes Whale in Distress - 24 March 2019
- Father and Son Rescued off Rocks - 24 March 2019
- Brydes Whale in Danger at Riy Banks - 24 March 2019
- Isuzu Southern Kings’ fighting spirit not enough - 24 March 2019
- Cradock 4 Garden of Remembrance - 24 March 2019