An early morning arrest by Metro Police brought a suspected rapist to book.
The swift action by Metro Police officials at 06:30 this morning also led to the detention of a suspected rapist when a drunk driver in a blood smeared vehicle was arrested in Humewood Road.
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Executive Director for Safety and Security, Advocate Keith Meyer said officers reacted to a complaint of a stationary vehicle in the roadway between Perrot Road and Walmer Boulevard opposite the Engen garage.
“Upon arrival they found the engine of the vehicle running and the man in the driver’s seat appeared to be under the influence of alcohol.
“A breathalyser test confirmed his intoxication. The Metro Police officers spotted blood stains on the vehicle and discovered bloodied clothes and items.
“The scene was secured and the South African Police Services (SAPS) forensic team was called out and started a full investigation.
“The driver of the vehicle was arrested by the Metro police for being under the influence of alcohol and was taken to Humewood SAPS where he was detained.
“This afternoon a woman came forward claiming that she was raped and assaulted by the suspect. A case of rape and assault was added to the original charge,” Advocate Keith Meyer said.
Meyer commended the officers for their sterling work.
Latest posts by NMB Communications (see all)
- Essential work at Kudu substation to affect electricity supply to Despatch - 16 May 2018
- Great News! IPTS buses back on the road from tomorrow - 15 May 2018
- Multi-million rand road construction project for IPTS bus route underway in KwaZakhele - 14 May 2018
- Water Cuts in the Nelson Mandela Bay Area - 11 May 2018
- Aspen’s R1 Billion mega investment reaffirms confidence in Metro - 7 May 2018