The Shoprite Group has made its Shoprite and Checkers stores available to those South Africans wanting to reach out and help the people of KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape following the recent devastating floods.
Shoppers can contribute to flood relief efforts by adding R5 or more to their grocery bill at till points in these supermarkets. The donations will go into the Act for Change Fund, which was established in answer to the call by customers for a means to support communities in distress. All proceeds will be donated to Gift of the Givers to support the organisation’s extensive relief efforts in the flooded regions.
The Shoprite Group together with Gift of the Givers are always among the first to respond when disaster strikes. They bring relief when fires raze informal settlements and drought cripples communities. Shoprite and Checkers customers through their contributions to the Act for Change Fund helped to bring much needed relief at the time of the Knysna fires in 2017 and most recently during the drought in the Western and Eastern Cape.
The current floods saw Shoprite’s Mobile Soup Kitchens immediately dispatched to affected areas and currently four soup trucks are each feeding up to 1000 people daily. Food, disposable nappies as well as blankets are among the items the retailer is distributing to those in need.
Shoppers are invited to join hands with Shoprite and Checkers so that more people are helped to recover from the devastating impact of these floods.
Author: Abigail Calata
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Grahamstown News: Grahamstown K9 Unit assists to stop poachers in their tracks - 22 May 2019
- Mthatha News: LEVELS! Black Coffee sells out historic Olympia Hall in Paris - 22 May 2019
- NMMU Inaugural Professorial Lecture: 2016 André Mukheibir [video] - 22 May 2019
- True Economic Empowerment Comes With Disruption – MyPR.co.za - 22 May 2019
- Second Bethelsdorp Police Station needed now, more than ever - 21 May 2019