Today’s posts from our featured Port Elizabeth Blogger:
What will this day be like?
I wonder …
What will our future be …
It could be so exciting to be out in the world to be free
Our hearts should be gladly rejoicing!
Oh what’s the matter with me?
As a privileged student at Stellenbosch in the seventies/eighties:
- we ran in the streets at Karnavaal with tins collecting for the “underprivileged”
- We built floats and designed placards at rag time
- We took porcelain gnomes from residents’ garden and street signs from the sidewalk which we displayed in our res rooms
- We ran in groups though the ladies’ residences and a prize went to that person who collected the most pieces of ladies underwear
- We ran naked though the streets of Stellenbosch – from Coetzenberg to Helshoogte
- We made fires too – for our braais in Jonkershoek
- We smuggled Tassies and Tannies into our rooms
- We demonstrated by putting the milk powder that replaced our nightly glass of fresh milk into the fountain in the front of the Conserve … The fountain was replaced with a garden and we got our fresh milk back!
- We considered all this as being “onskuldige studente pret”. We tested kampusbeheer to the hilt!
- We worked during holidays and after hours to pay our bills.
- We never had money but never seemed to be out of money!
- We were being defiant when we refused to wear ties to classes and at Sunday lunches.
I’m busy watching the biggest Rag day ever seen in SA – how times have changed!
Please add your memories to this note …
Read more here: BrainStorms – Ed Lunnon’s Blog
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Bhisho News: WATCH: ZODWA SHOWCASES 1 OF HER 4 WEDDING DRESSES - 15 July 2019
- Uitenhage News: Volkswagen launches Literacy Centres in Eastern Cape - 15 July 2019
- PE Business News: Transnet’s strike impasse at Port of Nqgura has debilitating impact on local economy - 15 July 2019
- JBay Winterfest: Big Wins, Big Upsets at the Corona Open JBay – MyPR.co.za - 15 July 2019
- Mthatha News: GOOD SAMARITANS HELP FAMILY - 15 July 2019