The Family Violence Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit in Uitenhage have arrested a 37-year-old Despatch man at 19:00, last night, Thursday, 28 January 2016, on 18 counts of rape, sexual assault, defeating the ends of justice and theft. It is alleged that the 24-year-old victim was offered a lift by the suspect on Sunday, 24 January 2016 at about 20:20. As they were travelling towards the taxi stand where the victim was supposed to get off, the suspect took out a knife and drove straight to his residence in Despatch.
The victim was raped repeatedly during the night and was only released the following day, Monday, 25 January 2016. The incident was reported to SAPS Despatch yesterday, 28 January 2016 and the suspect was arrested the same day. The 37-year-old suspect is due to appear in the Uitenhage Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 1 February 2016.
The South African Police Service remains committed to eradicate violence against vulnerable groups and will work hard to tackle crimes against women and children in our society. SAPS will remain focused and steadfast in our mission to fight crimes against women and children.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Grey Hammers Grey - 21 July 2019
- So, Allow the Cynic in me to comment on Round Umpteen of the Proposed Fish Farm - 21 July 2019
- Colourful Kanu - 20 July 2019
- Child support grants cannot be used as income in credit applications - 19 July 2019
- New recycling process to help tackle the world’s plastic waste problem - 19 July 2019