Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Deputy Executive Mayor Thando Ngcolomba defused a tense situation in Helenvale late yesterday afternoon after community members went on a rampage to allegedly protest against the DA Ward Councillor Nico du Plessis.
The furore is a continuation of tense protest action over the last couple of months.
Ngcolomba said a meeting will be held this afternoon at 15:00 at an open space bordered by Ibex, Blesbok, Hartebees Streets and Standford Road. The area is known as Die Gaat.
Standford Road, the main arterial road to the Northern Areas, was closed off for a large part of the day due to the protest action.
Latest posts by NMB Communications (see all)
- Possible Water Disruptions in parts of Nelson Mandela Bay - 24 January 2020
- No significant increase in dam levels despite recent intermittent rain - 23 January 2020
- Nine alleged drunk drivers nabbed by Traffic and Metro Police - 1 December 2019
- Festive Season Safety operations focus bearing fruit - 21 November 2019
- Bay still firmly in grip of drought - 19 November 2019