Members of the SAPS and local private security companies joined forces for a visible policing event recently, in a move they hope will encourage local businesses and residents to support community policing efforts.
Joint roadblocks were set up on major roadways leading into the Deal Party area, and were manned by members of the SAPS’s Air-wing, Mounted, and Vehicle Identification and Safeguarding Services Units. They were supported by armed response officers from ADT Security. The roadblocks were carried out on Friday 26 August 2016.
“We hoped this show of force would send a message to criminals that law enforcement and security role players were watching them, and that local business owners would also become involved in uniting with us in the fight against crime,” says Captain Sandra Janse van Rensburg, media liaison for Mount Road SAPS.
The joint exercise was arranged after a request from Deal Party Sector Policing with the increase of criminal activity in the area. These activities include hijacking, armed robberies, business robberies as well as house burglaries.
“The increase in these activities called for action from the role players and a show of force was conducted as a result,” says Shawn Swiegelaar, ADT’s Community Development Manager in Port Elizabeth.
“ADT is delighted to have been involved in this initiative as we believe that one of the main solutions to counter criminal activity is community involvement and collaboration amongst all stakeholders. This is a clear indication of the teamwork and synergy that exists amongst all the role players and we are satisfied with the impact which it made in the area.”
Author: Martin Slabbert
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Uber driver hijacked in Port Elizabeth – Port Elizabeth Business News - 22 September 2019
- Heal Your Round Pink Donut Naturally – MyPR.co.za - 22 September 2019
- Vehicle tracking device leads PE police to suspected house robbers – Port Elizabeth in the News - 22 September 2019
- Massive Performances in Excellent Surf For Billabong Seal Point Pro Junior Day 2 – MyPR.co.za - 22 September 2019
- Rainbow Runners - 22 September 2019