The Ibhayi Darts Association will be starting their trials on Monday night 22 January 2018.
Selections are being held to find the top 6 players to represent Ibhayi at The Darts South Africa (DSA) Nationals. Last year Ibhayi won gold in their Division and they are aiming to do it again.
A total of 20 contestants will play off at the Saints Football Club venue at the Gelvandale Sports Complex over 4 weeks to fill 6 spots.
Contact the Ibhayi Darts Association via their President, Deon Oliver on 041 367 5523 or via email: oliver.deon1[at]gmail.com
During March 2017 Deon Oliver became the first-ever South African to win a Last Man Standing Darts Tournament.
Oliver beat 169 other darts players in Cape Town to clinch the opportunity to partner with South Africa’s only professional darts player, Devon Petersen, who needed a darts partner to represent South Africa at the Betway World Cup of Darts which was held in Frankfurt, Germany from 1 to 4 June 2017.
Petersen and Oliver were knocked out in the second round of the tournament which was won by the Netherlands pair of Michael van Gerwen and Raymond van Barneveld.
Going into the tournament the reigning 2016 champions, England, represented by Phil Taylor and Adrian Lewis lost to the Netherlands in the semi-finals. The Netherlands went on to win their third title after beating Wales, represented by Gerwyn Price and Mark Webster, in the final.
Returning to the local darts board fray are:
- Simon Adams who represented Eastern Province before moving to Limpopo where he also represented the province. Simon is ranked in the top 20 in DSA.
- Purden Williams who has always been a strong contender and was last year Ibhay’s man of the tournament at the nationals, winning the most games.
- Mike Basson a veteran and darts legend who has the mettle to beat the best.
- Andrew Grobbelaar is another top player to look out for.
- Lindsay Winnaar is a determined and consistent player who always rises to the occasion and was one of the stalwarts of last year’s team.
- Also from last year’s team is Shaun Boggenpoel who is on the verge of greatness.
- Deon Oliver the current President of Ibhayi who led the team last year will be doing it again this year. as the current Last Man Standing winner he will surely be up to the task.
- Henno Tobias, Chris Jantjies and Godfrey Plaatjies are looking to make their mark.
- New kid on the block and the one making enormous strides in the game is Chezlin Oliver. He started playing last year and is predicted to make it to the top.