For the first time since 1994 the DA has become the official opposition in the Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature through the express wish of the voters (as opposed to achieving this position after the consequences of floor crossing).
The improved result from 9,8% to 16,2% has been a staggering improvement, especially considered against the fact that this growth is greater than the results achieved by both the UDM and the EFF.
The DA has made history by bringing the ANC under 50% in the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro. We are convinced that this feat has set us up for a successful assault on this bastion of ANC dominance in the province.
History has also been made through our victory in winning the Kouga Municipality from the ANC. This municipality has been within our grasp for the past ten years and we have finally won it in a national/provincial election. This achievement is very unusual in an ANC stronghold province where wining municipalities has been almost impossible.
The DA is especially pleased at the fact that our support has grown across all communities and in every municipality in the Eastern Cape. This is especially spectacular considering the ignominious implosion of Cope.
We would like to thank the more than 354 000 voters that voted for the DA in the Eastern Cape. We recognise that this spectacular growth would not have been possible without the hard work of all the candidates, all the DA public representatives, all party staff and our magnificent activists. Thank you, the DA will not let you down.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Port Elizabeth: Woman arrested for possession of suspected stolen motorcycles – Port Elizabeth Business News - 21 February 2020
- South Africa (SA) sides determined to bounce back on Guinness PRO14 tour – Port Elizabeth in the News - 21 February 2020
- Boosting a sense of belonging and growing confidence with uniforms - 21 February 2020
- The people of Inxuba Yethemba Municipality demand better services - 21 February 2020
- Next Mazda BT-50 vs New Isuzu D-Max: What’s the Difference? – Port Elizabeth Business News - 21 February 2020