The Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Eastern Cape welcomes the recent arrest of two Walter Sisulu Municipality ANC Councillors on charges of fraud.
On Monday 21 May these two ANC Councillors were arrested by the Hawks after allegedly pocketing R150 000 from the 2016 sale of a Aliwal North RDP house. A third accused, who has now turned state witness, helped the Councillors sell the house after their assistance was requested by the owner.
The R150 000 was paid into the account of the state witness and then allegedly withdrawn by the councillors. The owner of the house was blissfully unaware of this and then sold the house to someone else.
Where the African National Congress (ANC) governs, criminality is rife and nowhere is this more evident than in the Walter Sisulu Local Municipality (WSLM).
The ANC’s attitude towards criminality in their ranks is further highlighted by the fact that the Speaker of Council, Kholekile Lange, was also arrested by the Hawks in 2017 on charges of fraud and theft.
It’s clear that the ANC caucus of the Walter Sisulu Local Municipality are only there for self-enrichment and not to serve the communities who voted them into power.
The DA demands the ANC publicly condemns the actions of its Councillors and take disciplinary steps against them within their appropriate structures.
It is unacceptable that the well-being of the residents of the municipality must play second fiddle to the greed of those who govern them.
It is only under a DA government that Change can be brought to the WSLM and corruption and criminality can be stopped in its tracks.
Matthee Nel Cllr
Walter Sisulu Local Municipality Councillor
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- PE Business in the news: New L.A. Times owner Patrick Soon-Shiong writes a note to readers - 18 June 2018
- Mthatha news: Reward offered to track down Eastern Cape’s most wanted - 18 June 2018
- Bhisho news: Paramedics protest in Bhisho - 17 June 2018
- King Williams Town news: 2017 Toyota C-HR 1.2T Plus for sale in Eastern Cape - 17 June 2018
- Fussell and Associates, a stable financial partner celebrates 50 years of serving clients. – MyPR.co.za - 17 June 2018