Today I have opened a case of crimen injuria and assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm, against the person who knocked Omoefe Acboriyede off his pizza delivery bike in an attack during which insulting and racist language was used.
This premeditated assault which took place near Cape Road in Port Elizabeth was filmed by the suspect, who can be heard using horrific racist and hateful language, directed at a man on a motorbike, purely as a result of the colour of his skin.
This sort of abhorrent behaviour has no place in our country – it is destructive to nation building, and must be condemned outright.
I urge the South African Police Service to identity the suspect, investigate the serious charges, and to hand the matter over for prosecution.
We must find one another on the issues of racism plaguing our country, and we must all reaffirm our commitment to a reconciled and united future for South Africa.
I am committed to building a South Africa we can all be proud of; one in which all people are treated fairly and equally.
I plead with all South Africans to do the same, for the benefit of our nation.
“THAT” racist video:
The incident appeared to happen as the two drivers were pulling away from the traffic light at Conyngham Road‚ both turning right into Cape Road. Speaking in Afrikaans‚ the man in the bakkie uses foul language and uses a racial slur several times to refer to the delivery man as he films the incident himself.
The turning from Conyngham (at the Greenacres Hospital) into Cape Road is for two lanes – it appears that the motorbike is on the left hand side of the inner turning lane.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- 3 Bedroom Townhouse to Rent in Greenshields Park – Port Elizabeth in the News - 14 November 2019
- Patel’s spokesman dodges questions on Lottery – News from GroundUp - 13 November 2019
- Ntseki banking on Bafana’s away record ahead of Ghana clash – Port Elizabeth Business News - 13 November 2019
- Southern Kings played a hand in the careers of some World Cup-winning Springboks – Port Elizabeth in the News - 13 November 2019
- Uitenhage News: Open manhole is an accident waiting to happen - 13 November 2019