Varsity College Port Elizabeth’s 2014 Corporate Social Initiative is to supply an underprivileged school with a mobile library unit and media centre. Heatherbank Primary School, an NPO for underprivileged children from the Walmer Township, which currently educates, feeds and transports 48 children daily, is the school Varsity College has chosen to receive the mobile library unit on November 13th.
Vice Principal of Student Support, Catherine Louw says: “An exciting year of fundraising in collaboration with the Masixhasane Literacy Project has enabled us to provide Heatherbank Primary School with a mobile library unit. Fundraising initiatives both on and off the Varsity College campus were held in order to provide the school with the library unit which contains five hundred books, a flat screen TV, DVD player and twenty five educational video’s.”
The learners at Heatherbank Primary range between the ages of three and six and all of the resources mentioned above will be age appropriate. Says Louw: “Varsity College, in collaboration with the Masixhsane Literacy Project, is committed to eradicating illiteracies within South Africa as we strongly believe that through education, communities can be uplifted one child at a time. This has been a fulfilling adventure which needed the support and commitment of many people in order to be a success”.
The highlight of the fundraising initiatives was a successful comedy show, Whole Lotta Laughs. The show was presented by Centrestage and featured the popular comedian Gino Fabri with his side kick Alida Senekal. All who supported this event contributed to raising funds to provide Heatherbank with the mobile library unit.
Author: A’neil Philander
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Head For The Hills 2019 – MyPR.co.za - 22 November 2019
- Dream11 Team Prediction Nelson Mandela Bay Giants vs Cape Town Blitz, Mzansi Super League – Port Elizabeth in the News - 22 November 2019
- ‘Sex pest’ Breytenbach found at mother’s house near Mossel Bay – Port Elizabeth Business News - 21 November 2019
- Madibaz ready to apply themselves at USSA chess week – MyPR.co.za - 21 November 2019
- PP complaint leads to arrest of suspects allegedly involved in Siyenza toilet scandal - 21 November 2019