Our legislative climate is severely curtailing investment in Renewable Energy and Electric Vehicles.
South Africa is now very far behind other countries when it comes to an enabling environment for the renewable energy industry.
Fundamentals that we would like to see covered in the 2019 Budget are:
- Free up the resale of electricity and allow people to ‘resell’ electricity to people who need to fill up their electric vehicles – present legislation does not allow anyone to resell electricity.
- Remove the cap on the size of a Solar PV system allowed on a single phase installation.
- Allow consumers with Solar PV to feed back into the grid AND be compensated for all energy generated and consumed at ALL times.
- Allow Solar PV generators to sell excess power generated from their roofs.
- Allow Solar PV producers to accumulate electricity credits for at least a year.
- Introduce a subsidy to go green.
- Declare the Coega Industrial Development Zone as a renewable energy hub.
- Incentivise the production of renewable energy hardware, software and support systems within Coega.
- Cap the number of new model Internal Combustion Engined vehicles allowed on the roads by 2025.
- Drop the import tax on any electric vehicle or renewable energy hardware.
When it comes to renewable energy we are seriously being left behind in the quieter part of the 4th Industrial Revolution.
You can help the quiet revolution along by installing an EV Charging station outside your Guest House, Hotel, Coffee Shop, Restaurant, Shopping Centre or in your forecourt. Contact Straton Electrical for EV Charging Station options.
Tell MyPE your sentiments around Electric Vehicles: