A report late this morning from Port Elizabeth’s Whale Man – Rainer Schimpf – was that he was following a Brydes Whale entangled in netting close to the Riy Banks in Algoa Bay.
NSRI was en route to assist with a detangling operation.
The Riy Banks is a deep dive site famous for its steep and colourfull walls and situated around 20km from Hobie Beach. The the large horse shoe shaped reef area includes many dive sites and is home to colourful corals, a wide variety of game fish as well as sharks.
Keep checking MyPE to see images as soon as they are available.
In August 2016 NSRI were instrumental in freeing an entangled Humpback Whale off of Noordhoek. See: Entangled Humpback whale rescued in Port Elizabeth.
The proposed fish farms in Algoa are also cause for concern that entanglememts such as these will occur again.
The experimental Octopus Fishery in Mossel Bay was the target of ire when three Brydes Whales were found dead in Mossel Bay. See: Investigation into Bryde’s whales deaths underway.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- 5 December 2019 Loadshedding Menu of Darkness – Stage 2 - 5 December 2019
- The most destructive mayor in Nelson Mandela Bay’s history REMOVED - 5 December 2019
- Happy 14th Birthday - 5 December 2019
- Awakening the spirit of entrepreneurship in the youth - 5 December 2019
- 08207775555 – the WhatsApp number for MannMade Radio - 5 December 2019