Following reports that 100% of the budget must be allocated to the Northern Areas and Townships – as reported widely last week, the Executive Mayor, Mongameli Bobani has issued the following statement ‘clarifying his remarks’:
The Executive Mayor of Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, Cllr Mongameli Bobani made an aside statement last week and it was subsequently reported that he had said that the entire budget for the next financial year would be allocated to the townships and northern areas – and should residents in the more affluent areas report a sewerage problem, the head of infrastructure and engineering will be told to ignore it.
“This was not a policy statement and I want to put the comment in context. It is my considered view that local governments exist for the purpose of providing basic services equally to all residents. Service delivery should always be improving, and excellent service delivery is my administration’s goal,” said the Executive Mayor.
“The Democratic Alliance, after it lost the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro, has urged suburban residents to stop paying their rates and taxes. My comment was merely made to call their bluff. The city needs its ratepayers to be vigilant in paying their dues. I assure ratepayers that their money will be used strictly in accordance with the approved budget. I urge all the people of the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro, all the ratepayers, and all the residents, to unite behind a coalition government of a majority of elected representatives in improving service delivery equally for all, from the poorest communities to the most affluent communities,” said the Executive Mayor.
The Nelson Mandela Bay Metro’s exco and officials are currently occupied in a strategy session and, if all goes well, we will on Friday announce our plans for service delivery, be it in the townships, informal settlements and the suburbs.
“Let us unite, people of our city,” said the Executive Mayor.