The DA in the Eastern Cape welcomes the fact that two of its former Nelson Mandela Bay Ward Councillors, who last year betrayed the trust and wishes of the people of this City, were given a proverbial “blood nose” in the Port Elizabeth High Court.
Trevor Louw (Ward 35) and Neville Higgins (Ward 37) had their applications for leave to appeal an earlier judgment terminating their positions as councillors, and members of the DA, dismissed with costs.
Higgins and Louw had their DA membership terminated in September 2018 after they turned their backs on the party and the NMB electorate by siding with the ANC-led coalition of corruption.
The Municipal Manager must now heed the judgment of the court and go ahead with by-elections in Ward 35 and Ward 37. We have today contacted the IEC at their National head offices to impress upon them to take heed of the constitutional court judgement regarding the holding of by-elections within 90 days of the declaration of a vacancy.
The DA is ready to retake these wards and return to government in Nelson Mandela Bay.
Under the ANC/UDM/EFF coalition of corruption the Municipality is now floundering because of seriously compromised leadership, corrupt activities and patent lack of capacity shown by those in leadership in this failing coalition.
The DA led coalition government showed what was possible to achieve in two short years in government and we remain resolute that only a DA government can fight corruption, create fair access to jobs and speed up basic service delivery in Nelson Mandela Bay.
DA EC Premier Candidate
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Uitenhage News: Commercial Property for Sale in Mosel - 26 May 2019
- Mthatha News: Like father like son… except when it comes to voting for this Mthatha duo - 25 May 2019
- Bhisho News: Helen Sauls-August ready for the Bhisho hot seat - 25 May 2019
- PE Business News: Terminal/Refinery/Distribution (Terminal Operations) positions sought by Candidate #282385762 from Port Elizabeth, South Africa - 25 May 2019
- Ironman 2019 – “Bring my Leg” - 25 May 2019