One of the more interesting PE related old images that popped up on the #portelizabeth page recently was this one of the Mapplebeck family and friends, Emerald Hill, Port Elizabeth, South Africa, 1886. In the distance is Sydney Mapplebeck (1877-1904) on pony, with a friend of his father seated opposite. In the near field is Sybil Mapplebeck (1875-1955) with nanny Marie.
The BD Collection is primarily of 19th and early 20th century portraits and other historical photographs associated with the Bensted and Day families.
Do you recognise anyone in this image?
Do you recognise where the image was taken?
Thank the photographer here: Bensted Day Images on Flickr.
Click here to see more of this series.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- May Slams “Leaders” - 22 May 2019
- City Bids on The Ocean Race – Bigger Than Ironman - 22 May 2019
- Mpho Mokonyama - 22 May 2019
- Standard Bank IRONMAN 70.3 South Africa Entries Open - 21 May 2019
- Traditional welcome for Anna of The Ocean Race technical team - 21 May 2019