One of the more interesting PE related old images that popped up on the #portelizabeth page recently was this one of the Mapplebeck family and friends, Emerald Hill, Port Elizabeth, South Africa, 1886. In the distance is Sydney Mapplebeck (1877-1904) on pony, with a friend of his father seated opposite. In the near field is Sybil Mapplebeck (1875-1955) with nanny Marie.
The BD Collection is primarily of 19th and early 20th century portraits and other historical photographs associated with the Bensted and Day families.
Do you recognise anyone in this image?
Do you recognise where the image was taken?
Thank the photographer here: Bensted Day Images on Flickr.
Click here to see more of this series.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Port Elizabeth brings its best to the 2019 ENGEN Pitch & Polish event - 15 July 2019
- Implementing Liquefied Natural Gas with Coega as the Hub - 15 July 2019
- Leopard relocation dispute – Buffalo Kloof Private Game Reserve’s response - 15 July 2019
- Filipino Crewman Evacuated off Bulk Carrier - 15 July 2019
- One More Reason Why Foreign Visitors are a God Send - 15 July 2019