In the light of the devastating fires that ravaged Knysna, Nelson Mandela Bay and Kouga last week, the Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality is gravely concerned about the capacity of the Buffalo City Metro (BCM) to fight fires of that magnitude.
Buffalo City Metro has 7 fire stations, with only 6 fire trucks in operation. And of those 6 fire trucks, 0 passed the roadworthy test.
We have, for the past 2 years, asked Council questions to ascertain the functionality of our Metro’s Fire Department, and to date, many of the answers given have been unsatisfactory.
The latest set of questions, tabled in April at the Health and Public Safety portfolio committee meeting, were to be answered in the meeting scheduled for 15 June 2017, but no report was available. These questions were formulated to glean answers on specific issues relating to operational readiness and the functionality of the Department.
Our Metro lacks adequate hosing with available hosing equipment leaking. The problem is made worse by the limited number of nozzles available, which greatly affects the response time to a fire alarm.
BCM fire engines also have no full sets of Jaws of Life, no cutting equipment (chainsaws and angle grinders), no ladders, no fire extinguishers, and no oxygen or fire blankets for burn victims, no resuscitation devices, and most vehicles do not have trauma boards or cervical collars, with very limited medical equipment
It is very clear that the Metro is not ready for any major fire disasters.
We will continue to ask questions and do oversight visits to the fire stations until BCM is able to offer the residents the fire service they will need in time of crisis.
Sue Bentley Cllr
Buffalo City Municipality PR Councillor
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Bhisho news: Brothers guilty of murdering brother’s wife - 26 May 2018
- PE in the news: Retired cop treks 600km for cancer awareness - 26 May 2018
- King Williams Town news: 3 Bedroom House for Sale in King Williams Town - 26 May 2018
- Caveau Provides GDPR and PCI Compliance Solutions for Leading South African Corporate Travel Management Company – MyPR.co.za - 26 May 2018
- Mthatha news: Book Cheap Flights from Johannesburg to Mthatha - 26 May 2018