The DA caucus in Buffalo City Municipality is deeply saddened by the passing of one of our longstanding and respected colleagues, Councillor Jan Smit, who passed away in the early hours of yesterday morning at the age of 61.
Cllr Smit had a series of heart attacks at the end of May and was in hospital for most of June. He was admitted again last week, and later discharged yesterday around lunch time.
Councillor Smit held a post-graduate diploma in Sport Management and was the Project Manager for the 1995 Rugby World Cup and the 1998 Athletics World Cup. He then moved to East London and worked for the Democratic Alliance in the Bhisho Legislature before becoming the regional administrator for the Democratic Alliance Buffalo City Municipality caucus from 2000 – 2008.
He became a Proportional Representative Councillor in 2008, and was re-elected as such in both the 2011 and the 2016 local government elections. In 2009 the caucus elected him to be their chief whip and in 2014 he was elected as caucus chairperson; he was re-elected to the position after the August 2016 election.
In Council he was a valuable member of the Municipal Public Accountability Committee and was well-liked and respected by his colleagues from all political parties.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Smit family during this sad time. Cllr Smit will always be in our hearts.
Terence Fritz Cllr
Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality DA Caucus Leader
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- PE Business News: 3 Bedroom Apartment / Flat for Sale in St Georges Park - 24 May 2019
- Mthatha News: Woman, boyfriend gruesomely murdered in Mthatha - 24 May 2019
- King Williams Town News: Long term forecast forKing Williams Town, Eastern Cape (South Africa) - 24 May 2019
- Founders Lodge Scoops Two 2019 Boutique Hotel Guest Experience Awards – MyPR.co.za - 24 May 2019
- This is orange – Port Elizabeth - 24 May 2019