The Australian Government will provide further support to southern Africa in response to the acute food shortages caused by severe El Niño conditions in the region.
The Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs, The Hon Julie Bishop MP, announced on 2 September 2016 that Australia will provide AUD10 million to the World Food Programme (WFP) to deliver food and nutritional support to 11.9 million drought-affected people in countries in southern Africa.
Some of the most affected countries in the southern African region will directly benefit from the Australian Government’s provision of additional funding to the WFP, including Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Swaziland and Zimbabwe.
The current El Niño event has produced the driest growing season in southern Africa in over 35 years, compounding the effects of drought during the previous growing season. This has left 32 million people in the region without access to adequate food supplies including 2.7 million children who are severely malnourished.
Australia has been active in the global response to the impact of El Niño, which has also had a devastating impact in the Indo-Pacific. Australia’s response has focused on funding lifesaving food, nutritional and livelihoods assistance for countries most affected in the Pacific and South East Asia as well as the Horn of Africa.
Through its aid program, the Australian Government is also investing in improving preparedness and resilience to climate variability in helping communities prepare for future periods of drought.
This additional funding brings Australia's total contribution to AUD46 million for countries affected by El Niño.
Distributed by APO on behalf of Australian High Commission in Pretoria, South Africa.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Nelson Mandela Bay Giants skipper backing team to keep delivering the goods – Port Elizabeth in the News - 23 November 2019
- More train stations vandalised after jobs threatened – News from GroundUp - 22 November 2019
- Decision on next-gen Isuzu bakkie to be made soon – Port Elizabeth Business News - 22 November 2019
- WATCH: Kolisi vows to make a change – Port Elizabeth in the News - 22 November 2019
- JBay Surfer Matt McGillivray Edges Closer To Championship Tour Qualification – MyPR.co.za - 22 November 2019