It is alleged that at about 10:10 on Friday 8 April, while the court was in recess, three witnesses in an assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm case were consulting with the prosecutor. A 19 year old teenager who was seated in the back row of the court lunged towards one of the witnesses with a knife. The observant court orderly, Constable Anele France, immediately reacted and confronted the suspect, stopping the attack. Tactical Response Team (TRT) members, who were in the court building, immediately rushed in and assisted in overpowering and apprehending the suspect. No injuries were sustained. The suspect has been detained on charges of assault GBH and possession of a dangerous weapon.
The police members are commended for their quick action in preventing what could have been a fatal or serious incident at the court.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Repo rate remains unchanged - 21 November 2019
- 8 Year Trade Agreement to Generate over R30 Million Sales Revenue for Rural Farmers - 21 November 2019
- Understatement of the Year; “SOEs remain under pressure” - 20 November 2019
- 100 Free Tickets Available - 20 November 2019
- Organisation expanding expertise to the African diaspora - 20 November 2019