It is alleged that at about 10:10 on Friday 8 April, while the court was in recess, three witnesses in an assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm case were consulting with the prosecutor. A 19 year old teenager who was seated in the back row of the court lunged towards one of the witnesses with a knife. The observant court orderly, Constable Anele France, immediately reacted and confronted the suspect, stopping the attack. Tactical Response Team (TRT) members, who were in the court building, immediately rushed in and assisted in overpowering and apprehending the suspect. No injuries were sustained. The suspect has been detained on charges of assault GBH and possession of a dangerous weapon.
The police members are commended for their quick action in preventing what could have been a fatal or serious incident at the court.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Kings and Cheetahs go Down Against Irish - 17 February 2019
- Masualle – E Cape’s job creation efforts reaping rewards - 15 February 2019
- Let’s put the size of SA’s Automotive Market in Persepective - 15 February 2019
- Lisa Yengeni - 15 February 2019
- Living from pay cheque to pay cheque? - 15 February 2019