Today’s posts from our featured Port Elizabeth Blogger:
© 2017 Edward C Lunnon | Deuce | I’ll Ten years 6 months
I was born in Stellenbosch in 1956.
I completed my tertiary education at the University of Stellenbosch between 1976 and 1981.
I was the Primarius of Helshoogte in 1981.
I did further postgraduate studies at Stellenbosch in 2004.
I did my practical teachers training at the Paul Roos Gymnasium in 1979.
That is my connection with Stellenbosch, and through Stellenbosch I am connected to a multitude of people.
In 1982 and 1983 I completed my military training at Oudtshoorn Infantry School.
There I met Andre van Staden who had also completed his studies at Stellenbosch.
In January 1984, Andre and I sat in the half moon of chairs in Rector Dieter Pakendorfs office at Grey High in Port Elizabeth. We were two of the fifteen who started our teaching careers there.
I left teaching in 1988 and a few years later Andre was promoted to deputy headmaster and later Headmaster of Pearson High Scool in Port Elizabth.
Andre and Adia had two sons who attended Grey in the same classes as SeAn and Phillip.
That is my connection with Andre van Staden.
Now Andre has been promoted to Rector of Paul Roos Gymnasium in Stellenbosch. It is the only school other than Grey High in the country that has a “Rector”.
That completes the circle.
Congratulations, Andre on this wonderful appointment. You leave behind you a legacy of achievements and a horde of pupils who will be forever grateful for your educational finesse and Afrikaans tuition.
I wish you and Adia all of the very best in the Western Cape.
Source: BrainStorms – Ed Lunnon’s Blog.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Makhanda News: England beat Pakistan in 5th ODI, win series 4-0 - 19 May 2019
- Mthatha News: Ernst Middendorp has made things worse at Kaizer Chiefs – Patrick Mayo - 19 May 2019
- Bhisho News: Peelton, a village with British history - 19 May 2019
- PE Business News: What’s in City Press business: BBC’s hopes for Ramaphosa; Green fund could save Eskom; Conservationists oppose Algoa Bay bunkering; - 19 May 2019
- Uitenhage News: ANC struggle stalwart Thobile Mhlahlo dies - 19 May 2019