After a commitment made to the communities of the New Rest and Zwelidinga outside Seaview in Port Elizabeth, solar lights have finally been installed at both these informal settlements.
In Consultation with community leadership, the community as a whole and myself in 2012, it was decided to request the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropole to install solar street lighting in these areas. This was needed mainly for safety reasons as these areas are informal settlements and do not have formal access to electricity.
The DA is delighted that the street lights have finally been installed after two years of requests to the metro’s electricity sub-directorate and continuous IDP submissions.
The DA unveiled the installation of the lights at 10:00am on 31 July 2014 from the Pink Container in Zwelidinga Informal Settlement.
Vicky Knoetze, MPL
Shadow MEC for Roads and Public Works
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Mthatha News: Browsing: Bill Tucker - 19 March 2019
- PE Business News: A Force More Powerful - 19 March 2019
- Uitenhage News: Long term forecast forUitenhage, Eastern Cape (South Africa) - 18 March 2019
- King Williams Town News: Two killed in head-on collision near King William’s Town - 18 March 2019
- PE Business News: Brussels to Port Elizabeth flights - 18 March 2019