NSRI’s 52nd Annual General Meeting and Awards evening is being held in Durban this evening (Friday 31 May 2019) at uShaka Marine World, Durban.
the National Sea Rescue Institute is honouring contributions under the following categories: bravery, special service, station awards and long service awards from 20 to 45 years.
Water Safety Recognition Award: Luc Lepront for his quick thinking, and willingness to help someone he did not know who was in grave danger of drowning.
Directors’ Thanks Award to: Sage Khowa, Jon Caple, Everett Duarte and Marc Franz, for their bravery and determination when in the early evening of 18 February 2019, they went to the aid of three people caught in a rip current at Marina beach on the KZN South Coast. Using a Pink Rescue Buoy and a surfboard as emergency floatation, two international golfers were rescued and one of the rescuers was assisted from the water.
- The Most Improved Station of the year 2018 is awarded to: Station 35 Witbank Dam and Station Commander Travis Clack received the award.
- The Best RIB Station of the year 2018 awarded to: Station 37 Jeffreys Bay – accepted by Station Commander Rieghard Janse Van Rensburg.
- The Pat O Sullivan Trophy, for the best Class 1 Station 2018 awarded to: Station 17 Hermanus – accepted by Station Commander Deon Langenhoven.
SPECIAL SERVICE AWARDS:
- MARMION MARSH TROPHY 2018 awarded to: Clifford Ireland for his individual noteworthy service to the cause of Sea Rescue in South Africa and his tremendous contribution towards the ORC 140 Project.
- ALRIC SIMPSON TROPHY 2018 awarded to: Reef Wetsuits South Africa for their remarkable contribution towards Sea Rescue in South Africa over 14 years – accepted by Barry Stringer.
- Directors’ Thanks Award to: Kantey & Templer Consulting Engineers who have through their generous sponsorship and excellent professional services, provided NSRI and Station 5 Durban with free engineering design services since 2004 – accepted by James Stalberg on behalf of Andrew Smith.
LONG SERVICE AWARDS
- Aidan Wood – Station 11 Port Alfred
- Brynn Gericke – Station 19 Richards Bay
- Ian Reid – Station 7 East London
- Lyall Pringle – Station 8 Hout Bay
- Otto Rodenberg – Station 15 Mossel Bay
- Sven Gussenhoven – Station 8 Hout Bay
- Brian Brink – Station 14 Plettenberg Bay, he also receives an Honorary Life Membership Award
- Chris Van Staden – Station 12 Knysna
- Deon Truter – Station 14 Plettenberg Bay
- Kathy Manten – Station 22 Vaal Dam
- Bruce Bodmer – Station 8 Hout Bay
- Bruce Davidson – Station 2 Bakoven
- David Robins – Station 3 Table Bay, then Director
- Dick Manten – Station 22 Vaal Dam
- Dorian Robertson – Station 19 Richards Bay
- Geoff McGregor – Station 7 East London
- George Parkes – Station 12 Knysna
- David Roberts – Station 10 Simon’s Town, then Regional Director and Honorary Life Governor
- Rudi Fisch – Station 3 Table Bay
- Ian Wienburg – Station 3 Table Bay, then CEO and Honorary Life Governor
- Marty Reddering – Station 14 Plettenberg Bay