This statement is issued on behalf of Agri Eastern Cape by the portfolio committee member for rural safety, Alfonso van Niekerk:
Agri Eastern Cape condemns the attack on the Ngcobo police station, and subsequent murders of five SAPS officers and one soldier, in the strongest possible terms.
As an organisation, Agri Eastern Cape has a close working relationship with rural police stations throughout the province and we are deeply saddened by the senseless killing of these officers. We extend our heartfelt condolences to their families and loved ones.
This cold-blooded and cowardly crime is not merely an isolated incident. Its effect on rural policing in the Eastern Cape has far-reaching consequences and puts the safety of SAPS personnel, the entire rural community and farming families at risk.
We would urge the Honorable Minister, Fikile Mbalula, to appoint task teams to investigate the murders. The culprits must be apprehended and charged, and the judiciary must impose maximum sentences to send a clear message that attacks on those who would protect their fellow South Africans will not be tolerated.
Agri Eastern Cape and its members will assist the SAPS in any way possible with their investigations and we call on members of the public who may have any information pertaining to the case to contact the relevant authorities or phone SAPS Crime Stop on 086 00 10111.
Source: Eastern Cape – MyPR.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Southern Kings played a hand in the careers of some World Cup-winning Springboks – Port Elizabeth in the News - 13 November 2019
- Uitenhage News: Open manhole is an accident waiting to happen - 13 November 2019
- Recognise this guy, Bruce? - 13 November 2019
- Smile John! – Team Sailing League Regatta - 13 November 2019
- Pitso Mosimane says he is not losing any sleep over Kaizer Chiefs – Port Elizabeth Business News - 13 November 2019