The Presidency is concerned about continuing public statements by the former Public Protector Adv Thuli Madonsela on matters relating to President Jacob Zuma and the report entitled State of Capture.
Adv Madonsela has discharged her duties as the Public Protector and has no further role to play in the process regarding the said Report. Her unwarranted public attacks on the President, as happened in Stellenbosch on Thursday, are unbecoming and are not helpful. It would be prudent therefore, for the former Public Protector to step back and allow legal and constitutional processes to unfold unhindered.
The Presidency remains concerned as well by the leaking by Adv Madonsela to television channel ENCA, of her discussion with the President to the ENCA television channel. This conduct has serious implications with regards to ethics, confidentiality and the protection of information gathered during investigations by the Office of the Public Protector. It is also not clear why Adv Madonsela decided to leak only the audio recordings of the discussion with the President despite the fact that she had interviewed several witnesses.
The President urges all parties to act as guided by the Constitution and respect the processes that are unfolding in respect of the Report.
Distributed by APO on behalf of Republic of South Africa: The Presidency.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Money from Lottery goes to cousin of National Lotteries Commission boss – News from GroundUp - 20 January 2020
- ‘Blame me,’ says coach Boucher as South Africa face humiliating England defeat – Port Elizabeth Business News - 20 January 2020
- Cricket: Four players called up to bolster beleaguered South Africa – Port Elizabeth in the News - 20 January 2020
- We will always put the people of Nelson Mandela Bay first - 20 January 2020
- Only the Best Will Do – Team Sailing League Regatta - 20 January 2020