Let’s face it Solar and Renewable power generation is not sexy – okay, there probably is a small subset of our population that gets excited at the thought of electrons thrusting their way about….
Solar Panels on your roof at home certainly do not have the same cachet as swooping up to a restaurant or down the long driveway of a friend you want to impress as you silent come to a standstill in an electronic marvel of a vehicle that has utterly sexy lines and the ability to come at your demand.
A whirring wind generator is, frankly, irritating whilst a silently whirring electric vehicle compulsion system does have the ability to catapult your being into the stratosphere of Rolls Royce soundproof luxury.
But, as many people have found the mere purchase of an electric vehicle (EV) chides one into thinking in a different way – your mind clicks and concentrates on the power that you use and the reality dawns on many that they now have the ability to make their motoring experience even cheaper by self generating their own fuel for their EV. A soft Gateway Drug into Solar PV and, who knows, maybe hemp wearing veganism!
That promise of making your Total Cost of Ownership even lower is a wonderful gateway drug to Solar PV.
Think about it – we never seek ways to lower our cost of fossil fuel by large margins. Probably because fossil fuel pricing is completed dictated to us by the huge conglomerates piercing the earth’s crust to extract it and various governments taxing the crap out of every single litre that we purchase.
In this case the math just makes sense:
- The Nelson Mandela Bay Metropole currently charges R2.20 per kWh on the highest Inclined Block Tariff for those consuming 950 or more kWh’s of electricity per month.
- Currently over the life of a Solar PV system your electricity costs per kWh are less than R0.70 per kWh
So, in one fell swoop, you can cut the costs of fueling your EV by two thirds.
Still I will admit that Solar PV is not as sexy as that shiny new car that sits around doing sweet Fanny Adams for 90% of the day, BUT, your PV System will work at saving you money every second that there is sunshine for at least 20 years. Show me an EV that can do that!
You can help the quiet revolution along by installing an EV Charging station outside your Guest House, Hotel, Coffee Shop, Restaurant, Shopping Centre or in your forecourt. Contact Straton Electrical for EV Charging Station options.
Tell MyPE your sentiments around Electric Vehicles:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Have you seen Kefas Marufu? - 8 December 2019
- Could Twitter be the Cause of our #LoadShedding - 8 December 2019
- 8 December’s Loadshedding Menu of Darkness – Stage 2 - 8 December 2019
- Neil Powell on Blitzboks win in Dubai - 7 December 2019
- Analysing the Fourth Industrial Revolution - 7 December 2019