The following successes were achieved during this weekend (2-5 September 2016 in the Mount Road policing cluster. A total of 99 suspects were arrested for various crimes including possession of drugs, robbery, drunken driving, possession of suspected stolen property, murder, theft from motor vehicle, house robbery, unlawful possession of firearm and unlawful possession of ammunition.
All arrested persons are expected to appear in court soon.
A total of 32 arrests were made on drug-related cases in the entire cluster. Suspects were charged for either possession of drugs or dealing in drugs. The arrests were effected during routine patrols and stop-and-search operations. Two people were arrested in separate incidents in the Bethelsdorp area for unlawful possession of firearm and ammunition.
Members performing duties under Operation Lockdown also effected a number of arrests in the Northern areas. A large quantity of drugs were confiscated.
Total confiscations included:
- 2 dagga plants; 3 electronic scales; 27 mandrax tabs; 36 dagga rolls; 85 tik packets/lollies;1x 9mm Norinco firearm ; 1x 308 rifle; a VW Golf and a Toyota Quantam bakkie; 23 rounds of ammunition.
- On 3 September 2016, while members were on patrol in the Windvogel area in Bethelsdorp, they recovered a stolen VW Golf which had been abandoned. The vehicle was reportedly stolen in Booysens Park.
- On 4 September 2016, while on patrol in Gelvandale, members spotted a stolen Toyota Quantam bakkie driven by two men. The vehicle was stopped and suspects arrested for possession of suspected stolen property. They are expected to appear in court today, 5 September 2016.
- On 4 September 2016, a rifle was recovered in Jarman Street, Gelvandale just after a shooting incident was reported. The rifle was recovered in a shallow bush nearby. No persons were arrested in this regard.
- On 4 September 2016, the PE Flying Squad also arrested two suspects (21 and 23 years of age) in Bethelsdorp for dealing in and illegal possession of drugs. Members followed up on information received at a house in Bethelsdorp.
- On 4 September 2016, SAPS Bethelsdorp members arrested a 20 year old suspect at a house in Arcadia after receiving information of a firearm at the house. A .38 revolver and 6 rounds were found under the mattress. Also a small quantity of dagga was confiscated. The suspect is expected to appear in court today, 5 September 2016.
- On 5 September 2016 at about 02:00, members arrested a 23 year old suspect in Korsten for possession of an unlicensed firearm. Members were patrolling when they stopped and searched the suspect.
The successes can be attributed to good coordination between various police units and also to the anonymous information supplied to police by members of the communities. The Station Commanders of both Gelvandale, Colonel Fa-eez Deljian and Bethelsdorp, Col Shaun Roach, encourage the community to continue providing information on crime and criminals in their respective areas. Col Roach added that “we all have a responsibility to make our communities safer for our children and every law abiding citizen. If you have information that can assist with exposing people involved in any illegal activities, please contact us either voluntarily or anonymously. The Crime Stop anonymous number 08600 10111 is very effective and reliable. Information can also be communicated to the Gang Task Team Hotline on 0793986583.’