Nelson Mandela Bay is the capital city of the undignified bucket toilet system in South Africa. Too many poor people in NMB are forced to use bucket toilets while the ANC does nothing to solve this growing crisis.
I have today written to the Chairperson of the South African Human rights commission to request his update on the sign-off and release of the SAHRC report into the over 3000 bucket toilets in Walmer Township.
It has now been 18 months since the SAHRC began investigating this ongoing assault on the dignity of our people, at the hands of the ANC government. I understand that the Report is complete, and is only awaiting the signature of Chairperson Lawrence Mushwana.
Previously I have written to Minister of Water and Sanitation Nomvula Mokonyane requesting her intervention to eradicate bucket toilets, but she turned her back on NMB, and Mayor Danny Jordaan rebuffed my request that the NMB Municipality eradicate this most undignified sanitation system.
After 18 months we keenly anticipate the SAHRC report, which will lift the lid on an ANC government in NMB that has subjected our people to undignified sanitation for too long.
NMB is the Metro with by far the most bucket toilets in South Africa, and it is high time that we see action to eradicate the 30,000 buckets, rather than obstacles from Danny Jordaan’s ANC government.
The DA is ready to govern the Bay to deliver change we need to move forward again. By being honest and responsive, a DA-led government in Nelson Mandela Bay will make our Metro safe again, provide opportunity, deliver better services and work tirelessly to redress economic inequality.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- PE Business in the news: Entry-Level Attorney / Lawyer in Port Elizabeth Salary (South Africa) - 19 August 2018
- Grahamstown in the news: Rape accused off the hook - 19 August 2018
- PE in the news: 12 arrested in PE during Operation Basadi - 19 August 2018
- Uitenhage in the news: Uitenhage police search for three suspects following early morning shoot-out - 19 August 2018
- PE Business in the news: Forensic scientist David Klatzow to investigate Mark Minnie’s purported suicide - 18 August 2018