This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
1869: North End Gale
Image by awstraton
A view of the North End Beach after the gale of 20 September.
See the Gas Works on the foreshore to the right.
In September 1869 a South East gale blowing up to 120 kph beached 11 vessels of the 13 in the Bay, and all the lighters. Eight members of the crew of the "Sea Snake" were drowned.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Bhisho News: New DA MPL joins EC legislature at eleventh hour - 20 February 2019
- PE Business News: South Africa seek to bounce back after Perera heroics - 20 February 2019
- New MPL Fezeka Mbiko sworn in - 19 February 2019
- King Williams Town News: STEVE BIKO’S WIFE AT HIS FUNERAL IN KING WILLIAM’S TOWN 1977 - 19 February 2019
- Makhanda News: Makhanda water crisis deepens - 19 February 2019