This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
1869: North End Gale
Image by awstraton
A view of the North End Beach after the gale of 20 September.
See the Gas Works on the foreshore to the right.
In September 1869 a South East gale blowing up to 120 kph beached 11 vessels of the 13 in the Bay, and all the lighters. Eight members of the crew of the "Sea Snake" were drowned.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Woodridge College and Preparatory School launches Eco Smart - 21 November 2018
- Uitenhage News: Businessman hijacked, stabbed with broken bottle - 21 November 2018
- PE Business News: Introducing the Top 20 winners of the 2018 South African Small Business Awards - 21 November 2018
- Question for Emo anyone? – Featured Blog - 21 November 2018
- Grahamstown News: The Whistle Stop School’s fast track to literacy - 21 November 2018