This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
1869: North End Gale
Image by awstraton
A view of the North End Beach after the gale of 20 September.
See the Gas Works on the foreshore to the right.
In September 1869 a South East gale blowing up to 120 kph beached 11 vessels of the 13 in the Bay, and all the lighters. Eight members of the crew of the "Sea Snake" were drowned.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- PE Business News: What’s in City Press business: BBC’s hopes for Ramaphosa; Green fund could save Eskom; Conservationists oppose Algoa Bay bunkering; - 19 May 2019
- Uitenhage News: ANC struggle stalwart Thobile Mhlahlo dies - 19 May 2019
- Mthatha News: Workers disrupt Cosatu #MayDay rally in Mthatha - 18 May 2019
- King Williams Town News: Crime Intelligence operation yielded good results - 18 May 2019
- PE Business News: Mpofu confident EFF will be ANC’s biggest opposition - 18 May 2019