This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
1869: North End Gale
Image by awstraton
A view of the North End Beach after the gale of 20 September.
See the Gas Works on the foreshore to the right.
In September 1869 a South East gale blowing up to 120 kph beached 11 vessels of the 13 in the Bay, and all the lighters. Eight members of the crew of the "Sea Snake" were drowned.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- PE Business News: No military will be deployed in EC as yet to fight gangsterism - 16 July 2019
- 10 iconic spots to take #sharethebay Instapics – Featured Blog - 16 July 2019
- Mthatha News: TREE BRANCH KILLS 10 YEAR-OLD PUPIL! - 16 July 2019
- King Williams Town News: 4 Bedroom House for Sale in Club View - 16 July 2019
- Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality placed under administration - 16 July 2019