This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
1856: Provincial Hospital
Image by awstraton
Between November 1855 and January 1857 much debate took place over the siting of the first Provincial Hospital in Port Elizabeth.
A temporary site for the Provincial Hospital was found in Rodney Street after a tender was called for looking for a building ‘containing not less than 6 rooms and a kitchen’. The house above, in ‘Rodney Street, just off Main Street and opposite the sand hills’, was secured at a rental of forty-eight pounds per annum.
This temporary hospital was opened on 10 September 1856 and a seaman from the brig Allies was the first patient admitted under the care of Drs Dunsterville and Rubidge.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- ANC violates Constitution by trying to push through Sundays River Valley Municipality budget - 24 June 2019
- King Williams Town News: Commercial Property for Sale in Fort Hill - 24 June 2019
- PE Business News: Greenacres Lodge - 24 June 2019
- Makhanda News: All systems go for 45th National Arts festival - 23 June 2019
- Mthatha News: MTHATHA HIGH COURT - 23 June 2019