Visit and explore more Port Elizabeth videos.
In 1837, the Port Elizabeth based Boer, Piet Retief, organized an expedition from Grahamstown, after issuing a manifesto outlining his reasons for undertaking the Trek into the interior. After joining with an expedition led by Andries Potgieter for the initial trek north, Retief and his party turned eastwards over the Drakensberg mountains (the Dragon Mountains) in a virtually superhuman effort of unparalleled endeavor and hardship. Little wonder then, that when they reached the apex of the Drakensberg, and the green lands of Natal stretched out before their eyes, they called the land Blydevooruitzicht, or Happy Prospects.
CLICK HERE to submit your favourite Port Elizabeth video.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Ponzi scheme operator sentenced to 15-years for theft of millions – Port Elizabeth Business News - 17 October 2019
- AluLine Washing Lines – Fold Down – Port Elizabeth in the News - 17 October 2019
- Nelson Mandela Bay is now a lawless “gangster state” - 17 October 2019
- Team Sailing League 12 October 2019 – Rhodes University - 17 October 2019
- Nelson Mandela Bay council meeting to oust Bobani cancelled amid ‘imminent threats’ – Port Elizabeth in the News - 17 October 2019