Volkswagen Group SA Managing Director, David Powels and Production Director, Tom du Plessis, together with senior management and production staff came together recently to celebrate the export of the Company’s 100 000th new generation Polo.
The Polo has scooped a litany of international awards since its introduction to the market in 2009. Its first accolades were the titles of European and World Car of the Year.
The New Polo, manufactured in South Africa, won the prestigious Japan Import Car of the Year 2010-2011 award. The vehicle also scooped the runner-up prize in the closely-fought Japan Car of the Year 2010-2011 competition.
Locally, it is a finalist in the 2011 Wesbank-sponsored South African Car of the Year competition. The winner will be announced on March 8th.
Volkswagen Group South Africa commenced the export of the Polo to Right Hand Drive countries around the world towards the end of 2009. The vehicle’s key markets are the United Kingdom, Ireland, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Cyprus and Malta.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- PE policeman rewarded for bravery - 27 January 2020
- Bearing the sweet fruit of perseverance - 27 January 2020
- Coega partners with Free State development agency - 27 January 2020
- Every South African needs to speak out against the NHI - 27 January 2020
- Oversight inspections at NMB tertiary institutions - 27 January 2020